Diet Coke is evil

If you followed my previous website, you’ll remember I talked a bit about my battle with an addiction to Diet Coke. What I once started drinking because it was supposed to be better for me, turned into the cause of quite a few health problems. To name a few: brain fog, irritability, depression, weight gain. I stop drinking Diet Coke and bam I feel normal again.

I guess some people are simply not affected by the artificial sweetener, aspartame, that is in the majority of diet drinks. I am not one of those people. It effects every aspect of my well being. There are a gajillion articles online about the horrible effects this ingredient can have on your body, so I’ll let you do your own research. Suffice to say, there is study after study proving it’s negative side effects. I hate to sound like one of those crazy people who thinks the FDA is behind some evil plot to poison us all, but this stuff is horrible for you and they approved it. You cannot trust the government to tell you what is and is not good to put into your body.

Like I said, it’s in almost every artificially sweetened drink or product on the market. The two main things I had to eliminate in my every day life were Diet Coke and chewing gum. Aspartame is even in some vitamins and medicine. Diet Coke seems to have the highest concentration of it that I’ve experienced, quitting drinking this alone I saw a drastic improvement in my mood. Every now and then I think I can have one Diet Coke and be fine, but 100% of the time I feel the effects. It’s so strange how something millions of people drink every day can effect me so greatly.

If you currently eat, drink, take or chew anything that is artificially sweetened I challenge you to eliminate these things from your diet for a week and take notice of the improvement in your quality of life.
Now, stepping off my crazy conspiracy soapbox

Comments

Julie says

Just wanted to say congrats on stopping drinking the diet coke. I have never been able to drink/eat anything with aspartame in it cause of the nasty after taste. Keep up the good work!

Daisy says

I used to drink Diet Coke all the time, and realized I wasn’t losing any weight, or anything like that, and I had all the side affects you put on this post, I have stopped drinking them as well, and I feel a little better, but I still chew gum. I used to be a smoker, so gum is the best thing for me I suppose. Congrats on quitting the Diet Coke!

I have been battling my diet coke addiction forever!!! I can completely empathize with you. I had started today saying that today was the day. I did not feel totally convinced myself as I feel so tired and I have a great deal to get done today. Then I read this and feel inspired to really make today the day. Thank you so very much!!!

I have read about this as well! Luckily I actually only have an addicition to regular coke! Ha! I think ti’s horrible and am sorry it affects you acutely. Good luck with no more cokes. It’s a hard thing to quit!

I totally feel you… I love all things with fake sugar because it feels so guiltless. In all reality, people (even diabetics) need to limit sugar ….not replace it. You’re just trading one evil for the other! LOL

Are you sure my hubby didn’t pay you to write this post? Ha ha. I’m a Diet Coke addict and I swear he emails me every article he ever sees on aspartame. I don’t seem to experience everything you mentioned, although, the weight gain one is interesting and I’m wondering if there is a connection {or perhaps I don’t realize I can be in a better mood or think more clearly since I’ve always drank Diet Coke}. I guess I know deep down water would be better for me just need to get to the point where I’m ready to give up (wow, that does sound like a true addict..LOL)

Lisame says

I just wanted to say congrats on kicking the aspartame from your diet. In 2007 I was was suffering from Severe migraines, memory loss, depression, paresthesia, slurred speech, trigeminal neuraligia, insomnia, blackouts, personality changes and really the list goes on … it all came to head and I suddenly went downhill fast & they ran a brain scan and found that I had excess fluid on the brain, i lost the ability to walk or even talk. Thankfully once the pressure had been released on my brain my body took just 6mths to recover nearly back to normal. And the thing they say caused all this, the thing that nearly took my life and left my 3 children without a mother …. Aspartame Poisoning. This stuff is pure evil and I will not have it anywhere near my children and the more that can be done to educate people the better.

Oh my goodness Lisame. I’m so glad you’re alright! It’s scary stuff and I’m more encouraged now than ever to kick the stuff for good. Thank you all for sharing your personal stories.

angie says

I’ve been drinking diet coke for years…I now only have maybe 1 a week. I get the flavored sparkling water from Safeway now because I want something carbonated…this also has aspartame. I don’t feel bad, but I’m sure that if I kicked the artificial sweetener habit, I’d probably feel a bit better!

Martie Heath-Sinclair says

Aspartame typically doesn’t give me problems *except* in Diet Coke. Since it’s inception, I have not been able to drink it without getting a huge headache. I am also in the process of purging it from my lifestyle… Hang in there!

I dont drink diet coke but drink cola, and it doesnt “bother” me but i am cutting down, my problem is its my only sorce of caffeine as i dont drink coffee!

I recently gave up Diet Coke cold turkey and it is amazing how much better I feel. I feel so clear-headed, so much more at peace. I didn’t realize how much it was effecting me until I eliminated it from my diet.

Bridee says

I gave up DC one month ago cold turkey!! I had an ankle injury from running and my knesologist suggested to stop drinking it and I did! I ran a pain free half marathon today!! Good for you too!

Valerie says

Hey – is there a GROUP not unlike AA or NA or OA for us? Can we make a group? I am REALLY struggling – over and over and over and over – do you get what I’m saying – trying to quit the smack and I never stick w/ it. I think 42 days is my personal record and no matter how much better I feel – absence of headaches, mental fog, irritability, etc., etc., I always slip because it seems so innocuous. Can someone help us?

I really wish there was. If I weren’t pregnant at the moment I’m sure I’d be having relapses daily. It’s such a mental battle. I think, mainly, because it’s not widely known and recognized as dangerous like alcohol and tobacco for instance. Maybe if we commit to ourselves that the dangers are equivalent our minds would register the severity and stay away? Good luck with your journey!

I totally agree with you! Reg. pop is bad too though. High Fructose Corn Syrup is horrible for you as well, and it causes you to be addicted.
    I remember my Dr. said pop is one of the worst drinks you could ever drink. I grew up only have one 8 oz glass on Sundays, so it was an easy habit to break. It’s now water, coffee, and maybe orange juice or apple juice (but got to watch the ingredients in those too)

I’ve learn in order to have at somewhat healthier foods, you REALLY have to be on your toes! One time a bread I bought didn’t have High Fructose Corn Syrup, then months later it did. So I continue to read the ingredients EVERY TIME I buy it. Sad that we have to do that.

Not to mention red 40 and yellow 5, and 6 are horrible too. Contributes in making kids more hyper. ha crazy huh? Not good for adults too, but I don’t remember why, I just stay away from it.

Ok, so I guess I sound like a health nut.. I am not, I just want to eat good things and want my family to eat .

Trackbacks