Vitamins – My favorites & what they do for you

I feel as though I’m always on the prowl for the best supplements to aid in my overall quality of life. With the crazy amount of preservatives and chemicals in our diets these days vitamins and supplements are almost a necessity. Here are the ones I’ve researched, taken myself and recommend.

Omega 3

Why?
I don’t eat fish, unless I’ve had a couple glasses of wine and am feeling adventurous. In which case I’ll even try lobster and crack my own egg at the Hibachi grill, but that’s another story.
What Does It Do?
“Omega 3 fatty acids and protein are great for healthy skin. Hair, skin and nails are mostly made of protein, though the minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals we get from the best type of carbohydrates – fruit and vegetables – are also crucial if skin care is your goal. ” (healthguidance.org)

Green Tea Extract

Why?
Because my brother in law told me to. Keepin’ it real :)
What Does It Do?
Revs up your metabolism, inhibits fat absorption, helps glucose regulation, and gives you a little extra energy boost because it contains caffeine. In short, the miracle pill :)

Zinc

Why?
While doing a desperate google search to cure acne I found that a lot of people started taking Zinc and had great results. It’s helped mine tremendously!
What Does It Do?
Immunity! Zinc helps strengthen your immune system as well as aiding in cell growth, division and repair. Every single person in my family was sick a couple of weeks ago, guess who didn’t get sick? Me! It very seriously has helped keep my acne to a minimum as well. I wish I had done that google search a long time ago!

MultiVitamin

Why?
Because my diet sucks, for lack of a better word. I’m working on it, but there’s no way I’m presently eating the appropriate amount of vitamins needed daily in a lean cuisine.
What Does It Do?
Supplements my diet of frozen meals and fast food :) I’m not sure of the exact statistics, but I do know I feel much better when I remember to take a multivitamin.

Those are the vitamins I take every day and here are a couple I take on occasion.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Why?
A friend of mine swears by it, so I checked it out myself and now swear by it as well. I take it after meals, as many of the websites I read advised.
What Does It Do?
“relief from pollen, relief from non-threatening food and pet allergies, sinus infections, acne, candida, acid reflux, high cholesterol, sore throats, blood pressure, arthritis and gout. In addition, apple cider vinegar is very useful in aiding weight loss. When combined with a regular exercise program, apple cider vinegar vitamins can very powerfully curb appetite, reduce excess fluids that cause bloating and aid in the fat burning process.” (www.applecidervinegarweightloss.com)

B Complex

Why?
Don’t laugh, but…I had a coupon :) So, once again, I did a little research and thought what the heck. I don’t usually take this one unless my energy levels are super low, but it wouldn’t hurt to take it daily.
What Does It Do?
There are tons of benefits, but the reason I take it is for energy. Check out the bazillion and one benefits of taking B Complex here.

So there you have it folks, my arsenal of vitamins. Feel free to share your favorites in the comments.

Happy Monday!

Comments

Zinc for acne, really? How have I never heard of that before?! Totally gonna have to look into that. And stupid question: Do they make Apple Cider Vinegar pills, or are you just taking, like, a shot??

Yes! Isn’t that crazy? It definitely works for me! While I have simply taken a shot of apple cider vinegar, it upset my stomach so I went to the sunflower shoppe and bought the capsules :)

I absolutely love this post because your approach to vitamins is exactly like mine usually I defer to my well informed sister for advice. And hopefully I remember to take them. Just wanted to mention the all important vitamin D…. :) There is more and more research on the benefits of it.
    Have an AWESOME day!

Use tea tree oil. Can be bought at any dotrsugre or Walmart or GNC. Cleanse your face first, never rub it, allow to dry with very little patting, then use a cotton ball and swipe with the tea tree oil. This disinfects the skin and keeps it moisturized at the same time. Let dry and keep your hands off your face after that. Do at least twice a day. The important thing is cleanliness, so be sure to try not to touch unless your hands are very very clean. Good luck.

Natalie Maxwell says

My doctor told me that almost every woman is vitamin D deficient, and that vitamin d wards off all sorts of cancers–just throwing that out there! I am also on the green tea extract due to my brother’s advice.

Angela says

it’s important to get checked out by your GP or Naturopath to make sure you’re not taking vitamins your body doesn’t need, has excess of, or is intolerant to.

been there, done that, wasn’t fun and made me worse. My vitamin D was low but taking Vit D supplements made me very sick and tests showed that my body can’t tolerate and absorb Vit D in supplement form. better to sit under the sun for 15-20 mins per day (make sure you don’t wash it off as Vit. D is an oil based vitamin and can be washed off the skin. so give it about 24hrs to absorb)

best thing to take as a starter would be Probiotics (good health starts with a healthy gut) and increase your mineral intake by switching to Himalayan Salt or salt as natural as you can get it. Minerals help our body function to it’s full potential and makes you feel better. And again, check with your GP/Naturopath to ensure you’re not taking too much.

blessings
    Angela (one full of random but useful information) haha

April says

I was so glad to see your post about adult acne and now this post about Zinc helping with the acne. I too have been troubled with adult acne the last 5 months, and I can’t figure out why. I’ve tried everything. I’m going to try the Zinc. How much of the Zinc are you taking? I googled it and found various recommenations.
    Thanks!