Military Life

It ain’t easy, but I love it.

When deployments and trainings roll around I find myself tempted to go the “woe is me” route and be depressed. That’s when I pick my ugly crying self up, put my big girl panties on and start looking forward to the next homecoming. The amount of time it takes to get from depressed to being a big girl varies depending on the circumstances, however, the steps I take to get there usually remain the same and go a little something like this…

• Step 1 – Ugly Cry until I can ugly cry no more.
  • Step 2 – Go for a drive with the windows down, sunroof open (weather permitting), and Cee Lo blaring (or current happy music of choice).
  • Step 3 – Start making lists of things I need to do before he comes home.
  • Step 4 – Exercise.
  • Step 5 – Watch really bad reality television.

While some may see Military life as a burden, I see it as a blessing. When you go 8 months without seeing your best friend you appreciate them more with each passing second.

When you have 15 days out of 365 to spend with them, you soak in every little moment. When your time together is so limited, life becomes more precious and you enjoy one another that much more. When your family is all together again the little things no longer bother you and your heart finally feels complete.

We are fortunate to love one another so much that it’s as difficult as it is to spend time apart. We get to experience excitement and overwhelming joy when we’re able to see one another again.

I admit that it’s incredibly painful to watch my Husband tell our 3 year old daughter he has to leave for a little while, It’s a pain in the butt to move as often as we do, and family planning is a bit trying, among other things. But for each hardship there is an equal or greater benefit. For instance our Daughter tells everyone her Daddy is a Super Hero who is away helping people with a huge smile of pride on her face, we’ve lived in three really neat places over the past 6 years, and we’ve become friends with some pretty wonderful people.

So while I may fantasize about my Husband working a 9-5 job and being home on weekends, I accept that our reality is different and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Comments

Candace says

I am so glad that you posted about this! I am crying reading it though. I am so thankful for your family sacrifice for our country! People sometime’s forget to thank the family that is left behind while the soldier is fighting for our freedom. While I am ever so grateful for Matt’s sacrifice, I am also grateful for your’s and Chloe’s!!! You are an amazing example of how strong of a woman it takes to be a military wife. And I just can’t thank you and your family enough!

Erin says

Wow! You couldn’t have said that any better! After just going through all those things myself, you really hit home. There really aren’t many people out there that quite understand what it is like being a military family or the sacrifices our marriage and family have to endure. Seeing your daughter hug her daddy that way just brings tears to my eyes! While my daughter was scared of her daddy when he got home because she was so small when he left, we are finally getting to the I love daddy stage. Thank you SO much for your wonderful post!!

deb c. says

Just want you to know that we support your family and THANK YOU SO MUCH for your sacrifices! Whenever I meet a military family, I always wish there was something I could personally do for them, but just know that you’re all in our prayers! Thanks so much again!

You said it all so perfectly, as I too am going through this same lifestyle, and you are 100% right, that being apart makes you appreciate them more. My husband just left for another 1 year tour, and I stay as busy as possible with our four daughters to keep time flying by, until our next reunion, those are the best aren’t they? Best Wishes to you and your lovely family!!!!

Michelle Torres

decorater4life@aol.com

4 daughters, wow! That is so neat, Sisters are the greatest. I bet they definitely keep ya busy :) You and your family will be in my prayers. I hope this deployment flies by for you all!

Angela says

Praying for you hun. My husband is now 2yrs medically retired from the US Army Infantry yet I still feel the pride (and I’m not even American!) The sacrifices our soldiers go through for their country and their people is incredible. The families of those soldiers are sacrificing almost as much and I’m so proud of each and every one of our military men, women and families. May you find comfort in knowing that the Lord is with you and your husband and that He has wonderful plans for your life. Sending you lots of love and hugs from Australia ;)

Margaux says

I love this post, and love reading all the coments! My husband was in the Army for 4yrs so I know exactly how you feel. And just like Angela said, we too have been out of military for years now I still tear up at homecoming photos or the too many bad news reports about the guys overseas. Untill you have lived it you don’t realize the sacrifices the soliders and their families make. It is definitely a life changing career. Best wishes to all of you out there whose spouses are away on a deployment. My heart goes out to you for happiness, peace & a speedy time away. It’s hard for them to leave, but hard too for us to stay behind. : )

Thank you Lindsey for your prayers, I am so sorry that I failed to mention that you and your family are in my prayers, and yes the girls do keep me very busy, and I am so thankful for them because they are there for me when I get lonely and sad about my husband being gone, and I am just so thankful for my girls!!!!

Michelle Torres

I feel the same exact way, my Husband’s first deployment it was just me. This deployment seems to go by so much quicker with my happy little daughter bouncing around everywhere! lol! You can always email me if you need someone to talk to as well :)

It’s because of the sacrifices families like yours make, that mine is home together (and safe) tonight. I don’t forget that, so thank you! As my three year old says… “Wow, soldiers protect so many people all at one time. They must be the strongest people alive!” They are and so are they’re families!

Awhhhh, Thank you so much Lindsey, same to you…. We will make it right? But, it is always so nice to talk to people as yourself that really know what it is like… I hope you have a wonderful day, full of peace and Love…. Everything is going to be alright!!!!!! *Muah*

Michelle Torres

I am always amazed at the capacity military wives have for change. I’m at a military hospital once a week and i am constantly reminded how expensive my very own freedom is. I pray often for the men coming home…the reality of family, the gift of filling their spot at the dinner table and ability to engage emotionally with their wives. Thanks for your willingness to change, to be flexible to give on my behalf. Keep up the fantastic work.

My husband just had a milestone on New Years Day. 10 years in the Army! And of course he had 24 hour duty. He has been through 3 deployments and the last one was the most emotional on all levels. He made it home (actually to the hospital) on mid tour leave just 9 min before our daughter was born. And now we are about to celebrate her 3rd birthday and shortly after that will have to say good bye to him. He will be going to Korea, solo, and we will be here at Fort Leonard Wood. It is sinking in more everyday and even worse the fact that we don’t get to look forward to the 2 weeks half way. Since its not a deployment we will go 365 days without seeing him. This will probably be the toughest trial.

Wow, Lindsay. I’m so sorry you’re having to endure yet another period of time apart. You would think a 2 week leave would be standard for unaccompanied tours as well. Time away from your family is hard, but it seems the Military has not made any steps in the right direction to alleviate that hardship recently. I am saying a prayer for you and your family. Make this year a year of goals to reach before you see your Husband again! And please feel free to email me if you ever need someone to chat with! :) You are a strong woman, and should be proud of yourself!