This is my all time favorite cookie. My Mom calls them her “Lindsey” cookies, isn’t she sweet I’ve made them myself a few times, and while they were pretty darn good they weren’t near as fabulous as they are when my Mom makes ‘em. There are a few different things you can do to jazz these up for specific events. For Valentine’s Day we cut them into the shape of a heart instead of a circle. You can sift powdered sugar over the top piece before placing it on top of the jam. You can add sprinkles, or white coarse sugar granules. Whatever floats your festive boat In order to make these you’ll need a linzer cookie cutter, basically a cookie cutter that has a smaller version along with the larger size. The smaller shape is to cut the center.
Traditional linzer cookie cutters will have the smaller cutter already attached and removable. Click here to see a google shopping search for linzer cookie cutters.
Here’s the delicious recipe:
1 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Cups Sifted Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Smuckers Strawberry Jam (or whatever flavor you prefer)
Cookie Cutter – linzer cookie cutters
- Cream your butter and sugar in a mixer bowl until fluffy.
- Add your flour and salt and mix until the dough is smooth.
- Refrigerate your dough for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface roll your dough into 1/4 inch thickness
- Cut with your cookie cutter shape of choice. Make sure whatever cookie cutter you use also has a smaller sized shape.
- Cut an even number of large shapes out, then use your smaller shaped cutter to cut the center out of half of your cookies.
- Place your cookie tops and bottoms onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until edges are very slightly golden. Let ‘em cool.
- Spread your jam onto the bumpy side of your bottom cookie, make sure you don’t over fill the cookie or they get seriously messy
- Place your top on and you’re finished, aren’t they pretty?