Bran muffins have been a breakfast staple in our family for as long as I can remember. I was fortunate to have been introduced to them young, had I been old enough to draw my own conclusion based on what I know of bran I probably never would have tried them. You know, like my seafood issues. Try these you will not be disappointed! Since the mix stores for 4 weeks it’s nice to just keep it made up in your fridge and throw a batch in the oven every morning. They’re sweet and great hot out of the oven… with some butter These things are kid friendly too, my picky 2 year old loves them! She also likes to man the mixer while I pour things in, it’s fun to “cook” with your kiddos and they love it ♥
1 cup of canola oil
1 cup boiling water
3 cups white sugar
2 cups bran buds cereal
4 cups all bran cereal
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
1 qt buttermilk
- Mix your cup of oil and boiling water together, set aside to cool.
- Mix your sugar, bran buds cereal, bran cereal, flour and salt together.
- In another bowl combine your baking soda and buttermilk. (give it a few minutes, this mixture will rise)
- Pour your cooled oil and water into the mix.
- Add your baking soda and buttermilk to the mix.
- Add 6 eggs individually. It’s always a good idea to crack your eggs into a little bowl before adding them to err on the side of safety.
- Refrigerate your dough over night or for 12 hours to give it a chance to set.
- Spray your muffin pan with Pam, spoon dough into the pan and bake for 15 minutes on 375°.
(for convection ovens: 15 minutes on 350°)